I was inspired to create this favorite blend of seasonings when my family raved about a Taco Soup served at a church potluck one Sunday afternoon. After asking my friend for the recipe, I realized it was one that used so many packaged seasoning blends and canned goods that one recipe could feed an army. I rose to the challenge and set out to dissect the ingredients for each of those seasoning packets to create a recipe that made just enough soup for one family at a time.
This was one of the few meals my pickiest eater would always get excited about and today it’s still requested by all of my kids when they come home; even the grandkids!
GOT KIDS? Keeping a few single use mixes in the pantry is especially useful as a quick meal the family can make without you. They don’t have to fuss with a lot of measuring or finding a long list of ingredients. Just call home and tell them to dump, stir, heat and eat!
MAKE IT A MIX
While this recipe started as a soup, I soon found it functioned well as a seasoning blend for a variety of other recipes. That’s when I started making bulk batch blends of the dry ingredients in addition to keeping a few single use mixes on hand.
- Layer the ingredients into a small zip top baggie.
- Make several at a time to keep on hand.
- Consider keeping several of the bags in a small container along with the printed recipe so there’s no hunting down the recipe at meal time.
Bulk Blend: (makes approximately 10 single mixes)
- Place the ingredients in a bowl so you can blend thoroughly.
- Pour the well blended mix into an air tight container.
- Consider attaching the printed recipe to the jar so there’s no hunting down the recipe at meal time.
GOT KIDS? Let them help make up the mixes for personal use or gifting purposes.
- Set it up like an assembly line, assigning 1 person to each ingredient and pass the bags around the table, OR…
- Set it up as a round table process. Line up all of the ingredients with their measuring utensils, place a stack of bags at the front of the ingredient line and let each person go down the line to make a full mix.
MAKE IT A GIFT
This makes a fantastic homemade gift.
- Housewarming gift
- Hostess gift
- Birthday / Holiday
I love to put this mix in a cello bag and place it in a gift container or bag with all of the canned ingredients, printed recipe and some chips and salsa. When I include the gift version of this homemade salsa...it’s even more perfect!
When gifting to a larger family, gift the bulk blend in a canning jar with the printed recipe.
As I mentioned above, this blend is so much more than a soup mix. Here are a few quick tips for using this blend to season up other dishes:
- Make a dip: Mix with a brick of softened cream cheese and 1 cup of sour cream. Chill overnight and serve with corn or tortilla chips.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the blend to 1 pound ground beef. Cook in a skillet until the beef is crumbled and no longer pink. Serve as tacos.
- Season black beans when heating up a side dish.
Look for other recipes using this blend to be added to this blog over time!
To make it easy for you, here are some printable recipe cards with all of the ‘make a mix’ tips.
Craving more recipes and tips to make meal time fast, easy and efficient – and most of all – simply delicious? Drop your email address here and I’ll make sure you don’t miss a single blog post.
PRIVACY PROMISE: I value your privacy as much as you do. You are simply subscribing to this blog for email notifications.
HEADS UP! This post may contain affiliate links. It’s true…if any of my suggested links helps you find exactly what you need quickly and easily and you make a purchase, I make a small commission (no cost to you!). You can read more about it here: Affiliate Disclosure.