In a world where we’re constantly being bombarded with the question, “What’s your purpose? Have you discovered your purpose?”, our human nature is to jump into striving mode to find it and prove to the world we’re good at it.
I call this ‘living with our hair on fire’. Hair fire living is when we’re striving to be ‘enough’ so we feel validated, worthy, or accepted. But in that striving mode to measure up, there’s always the ‘next level’ of being enough. What felt like ‘enough’ today becomes not enough on the social media stage of comparison tomorrow. The chase after purpose (validation / reason for being created) is never ending.
Purpose in life is not something to be chased after or measured by others. We are born with one purpose – to glorify God wherever He places us.
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, who is the source of all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things [that have been created], and we [believers exist and have life and have been redeemed] through Him. ~ 1 Corinthians 8:6 AMP
We are created with a heart fire to glorify God. It’s our literal purpose, our reason for being created.
But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth. ~Exodus 9:16
The opposite of living with our hair on fire is living with our heart on fire.
- Hair fire says “I’ve got this – watch me.”
- Heart fire says “I can’t do this – but God can so watch what He does.”
For it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you, both to will and to work [that is, strengthening, energizing, and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfill your purpose] for His good pleasure. ~ Philippians 2:13 AMP
Am I Enough?
There is a common phrase that floats around social media that says ‘I am enough’ – and it feeds hair fire living. This ‘I’ve got this, watch me’ mantra drives us into a life of proving we’re independently enough.
Truth is, I’m not enough.
Truth is also this…
In Christ – I’m more than enough.
This is heart fire living
- knowing we don’t have to prove our value and worth to the world or God.
- knowing God has already declared our value in His word.
- knowing our ‘enough’ is found in what He does through us, not what we do for Him.
Let’s be still for a moment and let God stoke our heart fires. Let Him breath into you His truths and watch the heart fire flames be revived.
A Conversation with God
Where you see [__] insert your name and let God’s words speak life into you today.
[__], Stop focusing on being independently enough. This is where the enemy sneaks in to kill and destroy your confidence, reminding you of past failures and current fears.
- …for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control ~ 2 Timothy 1:7
- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:19
[__], when you say ‘I am enough’, the focus is on you, not Me IN you. I am the one who gives you more than you need to be more than enough.
- for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.~ Philippians 2:13 NIV
[__], in Christ, I have given you all the strength, wisdom, power, endurance, patience, creativity, love, self-control….
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness ~ Galatians 5:22
[__], I supply your every need. In Christ you have all you need to be…
- braver than you think you are
- wiser than you realize
- more patient than you think you can be
- bolder than you believe you are
- more creative than you can imagine…
- …being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy… Colossians 1:11)
[__], whatever you need to do, be or withstand, you are MORE than enough in Christ. I have given you the same power that raised Christ from the dead
- that you may know …. his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead… Ephesians 1: 18-20
[__], in Christ, you are MORE than enough and equipped to do all that I created you to do, for My glory.
- But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.
~ Exodus 9:16
Deeper Conversations at His Table
Ready to sit at His table for two and have a deeper conversation? Here are some conversations starters for you to take to the table where you can hear God speak wisdom, awareness, healing and truth over you. Use these questions to chat with God. Let Him bring you into a deeper relationship with Him.
- What limiting thoughts are you struggling with?
- What does God say about those limiting thoughts?
- What areas of your life are you depending solely on personal belief, strength or abilities?
- What feelings of ‘not enough’ are you struggling with?
- How does God want to give you more in that area of your life?
- What does God’s word say that He gives you to make this area of your life more empowered?
- Ask God, “what have you prepared me to do for You today? How am I equipped by Your Spirit to be more than enough for Your glory?”
2 thoughts on “Hair Fire or Heart Fire?”
What a timely message for me today. I just got my 2023 calendar, and I’m thinking, “what will I resolve next year?” and “what have I failed to do this year?” Clearly, I am feeling I’m not enough. But wait! Along comes this message. I need to get out of my head (or, maybe more aptly, out of my own hair). Love you, Tami!
Monica!!! ❤️ Love this. I’m in a similar place. I’m doing a little 2023 contemplating as well and I feel God leading me towards less planning for things to accomplish and more margin for Him to accomplish more in me. Miss you!